About Bates Wells
Making a profit is core to all businesses but our goal is to combine this with a real social purpose. Our values are pivotal to us, they shape our decisions and the way we live and work.
We focus on positive social impact as much as we focus on being a successful law firm. Our top tier legal advice is coupled with a real desire to drive change and we were the first UK law firm with B Corp certification, awarded to businesses that balance purpose and profit.
Today, our clients are diverse – from corporate household names to public bodies, to start ups. We’re also the firm of choice for thousands of charities and social enterprises. We continue to lead the market we helped to shape.
Bates Wells challenges what is possible in legal expertise delivery.
About the Role
The Director of Risk & Compliance is a trusted advisor to the partnership on regulatory, risk and compliance matters. They ensure that a robust and best practice regulatory, risk and compliance framework is in place. They raise awareness of regulatory requirements, risk issues and compliance policies, ensure consistent firm-wide adherence to policies and processes and work to continuously improve those process so that they are proportionate to the firm’s needs. They advise on and manage any serious issues that arise and liaise where necessary with the firm’s regulators.
- A qualified lawyer with relevant experience gained in a regulatory or commercial practice and preferably in an SRA regulated environment.
- Exercises sound judgement, a good sense of proportionality and possesses strong decision making skills.
- A client and service-focused approach with a can-do attitude and solutions focus; can work commercially and pragmatically with the business to achieve its goals within the relevant regulatory regimes and to balance the commercial and compliance risks.
- Board-level influence, challenge and presence.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to build, maintain and nurture excellent, constructive relationships at all levels in and outside of a firm.
- Provides strong leadership, mentoring and coaching to develop the team’s skills and expertise, and demonstrates exceptional teamwork.
- Flexibility to cope with a wide range of responsibilities and to deliver consistently high quality results, taking a hands-on approach to many projects.
- A genuine interest in the work we do at Bates Wells.
- Finally, we want people whose values reflect our own and who feel inspired working in a firm with a strong social purpose.
How to Apply
To find out more and to apply, Click the APPLY NOW BUTTON
Closing date for applications: Thursday 4 November 2021